A Public Meeting on the Official Plan Review is scheduled for November 17 at 9:30 am.
See "Get Involved" below for more details.
Municipalities are required to update their Official Plan at least every five years, in accordance with Section 26 of the Planning Act.
Your insights and input will help inform and shape the new Plan.
- What is an Official Plan?
An Official Plan is a legal document containing goals, objectives and policies to guide land use, development and growth in a municipality.
The Official Plan guides and directs changes to the physical nature of the municipality. The plan has a large impact our social, economic, cultural and natural environment, as it sets out:
- where we'll put new housing, industry, offices, commercial shopping areas, etc., and what those developments might look like (housing density, for example)
- where roads and traffic will go where services and amenities like schools, recreation centres, and parks are needed, and where they should be located
- how we'll protect areas for agriculture, green space, etc., and
- other considerations for municipal growth and development
- Why are we reviewing the Official Plan?
We review our Official Plan to ensure that it conforms with the latest provincial policies and the County of Middlesex Official Plan. The review will consider planning studies and reports completed by the municipality and county since the current Official Plan was approved.
- Official Plan Review Timeline
Project Phase Timing Opportunities for Public Involvement Phase 1: Project Initiation Summer 2020
- Special Meeting of Council - Section 26 (Aug 12, 2020)
- Public call for Stakeholder Advisory Committee (SAC) Members
- Vision Survey
Phase 2: Background Reports and Studies Summer 2020 – Winter 2020
- Vision Survey (continued)
- Vision Workshop (Oct 6, 2020)
Phase 3: Directions and Recommendations Report Winter 2020 – Summer 2021
- Public Open House (May 6, 2021)
Phase 4: Official Plan Amendment(s) Summer - Fall 2021
- Public Open Houses (Oct. 19 & 20, 2021)
- Statutory Public Meeting (Nov. 17, 2021)
- Where are we in the Review Process? Recommended Changes ("Redline")
We've moved into the final phase of the review process, and are preparing recommended changes to the Official Plan for consideration by Council later this year.
Recommended Changes to Official Plan (Redline Version)
A redline version of the Official Plan showing the draft recommended changes can be found at the bottom of this page. Text that is proposed to be deleted is shown in red, while new text is shown in blue.
A new set of land use schedules will be provided as they become available. At this time, no major designation changes are proposed, therefore the current land use schedules may be used for reference until the new schedules are available.
- Schedule A - Settlement Areas / Land Use Plan – New Schedule Available (see attachments below)
- Schedule B - Greenlands System – New Schedule Available (see attachments below)
- Schedule C - Natural Hazard Lands – New Schedule Available (see attachments below)
- Schedule D - Transportation and Utilities Plan
- Schedule E - Proposed Trail Routes
Commenting on the Recommended Changes
- All comments received will be reviewed and considered for inclusion in the next set of revisions.
- Comments may be submitted via email or in writing addressed to the Municipal Clerk or may be shared at a public open house or public meeting. For information on participating in an open house or meeting, see "Get Involved - Have your Say!" below.
- When submitting comments, please refer to the section of the Official Plan you are interested in.
- Comments received after November 8, may not be reflected in the version presented at the Public Meeting on November 17, but will be considered for the final version to be presented for adoption.
- Get Involved - Have your Say!
There have been and continue to be many opportunities for members of the public to share their thoughts on the Official Plan Review. Below you'll find information on how you can get involved now, and what opportunities will be coming forward throughout the review process.
- Survey - Thank you to everyone that took the time to complete our "Looking Ahead" survey, which looked to capture your thoughts on the Strategic Plan, Official Plan Review and the 2021 Budget. The survey ran from July 13 to August 24, 2020, and the results are posted on the Strategic Plan webpage. If you missed the survey, you are welcome to email your thoughts on the Official Plan review.
- Special Meeting of Council - On August 12, 2020, Middlesex Centre Council held a special meeting to discuss possible revisions to the Official Plan. Members of the public were welcome and encouraged to provide written comment or speak at the meeting. This is the first meeting of the Official Plan Review process.
- Stakeholder Advisory Committee - The Stakeholder Advisory Committee (SAC) is a group of 12 to 15 representatives with various voices and interests within the Municipality. This includes residents, community group members, youth representatives, land owners, business owners and other interested stakeholders. The SAC provides a sounding board for the Project Team and provide insights into key issues and draft policy.
- Vision Workshop - On October 6, 2020, we held a meeting with members of the public as we begin to set the vision for our updated Official Plan. Details from this meeting can be found in the background report attached below.
- Public Open House - On May 6, 2021, we held a public open house to gather input about the draft policy recommendations for the updated Official Plan. Topics discussed included growth management, infrastructure, economic diversification, and natural heritage & hazards.
- You can find discussion papers on key topics and the draft policy recommendations at the bottom of this page.
- You can view the meeting via YouTube.
- Public Open Houses - On October 19 and 20, 2021, we hosted two public open houses to present the final Official Plan revisions before they go to Council for their consideration.
- You can find the presentation from this meeting at the bottom of this page.
- A redline version of the Official Plan showing the draft recommended changes can be found at the bottom of this page.
- You may also provide written comments by post or email. Comments received after November 8, may not be reflected in the version presented at the Public Meeting on November 17, but will be considered for the final version to be presented for adoption.
- Upcoming: Statutory Public Meeting - On November 17, 2021, we will host a statutory public meeting to present the final Official Plan revisions to Council for their consideration.
- If you would like to speak at this meeting, please send your request via email no later than 4:30pm on November 15, 2021. Include your first and last name, phone number, home address with postal code, and any speaking notes.
- You may also provide written comments by post or email. Please ensure your comments are received by November 15, 2021.
- A redline version of the Official Plan showing the draft recommended changes can be found at the bottom of this page. This document will be updated at a later date to reflect comments received at the public open house.
- Background Material
- Middlesex Centre Official Plan (current)
- County Official Plan (County of Middlesex)
- Provincial Policy Statement (Government of Ontario)
- Planning Act (Government of Ontario)
- Citizen's Guide to Land Use Planning - Official Plans (Government of Ontario)
Reports from the Official Plan Review Process
- Please see attachments below.
- Sign-Up to Receive Official Plan Review Updates
Sign-up to receive email notification about the Official Plan Review, including upcoming meetings and when new reports are released.
- For More Information
Please contact our Planning Services team with any questions or comments.