About the Project
Bridges B-124 and B-146 were identified by the Municipality of Middlesex Centre as candidates for replacement during regular biennial inspections in 2019. They are scheduled to be replaced in the summer/fall of 2022.
- Bridge B-124 is located on Ten Mile Road, approximately 0.6 km east of Hyde Park Road, near Ilderton (see map in Project Overview document, below).
- Bridge B-146 is located on Sixteen Mile Road, approximately 0.5 km east of Highway #4, near Elginfield (see map in Project Overview, document, below).
GM BluePlan has been selected as the primary consultant to design and administer the replacement of both bridges.
Reason for the Project
The bridges were originally constructed in the late 1950s and have reached the end of their expected service lives. Proactively replacing structures that have reached the end of their service lives is an essential part of maintaining a healthy public infrastructure system.
The bridge replacements are expected to:
- Provide a long-term solution to maintain crossing of existing watercourses.
- Improve longevity of the structures by replacing the existing deck, asphalt paving, railings, curbs, adding approach slabs, and erosion protection.
- Minimize impacts resulting from construction to neighbouring properties and members of the community.
- Restore the area to match or improve upon pre-construction conditions.
Thanks to the Canada Community-Building Fund for providing significant funding in support of this project.
About the Project
- Engineering / Planning - Fall 2021/Winter 2022
- Tendering for Project - Early Spring 2022
- Construction and Restoration - Summer/Fall 2022
- Start Date: late August
- Estimated completion: late November 2022
- Dates may change due to weather, supply chain issues and contractor availability.
Scope of Work
Removal and replacement of existing bridge superstructure, including bridge deck, curbs, railings, and roadway paving at bridge site. Existing bridge abutments and footings to remain.
Urbanlink Civil Limited
How will Construction Impact You?
For those living in or travelling through the construction area:
- Road Closures: The roadway will be fully closed to all traffic at each construction site for the full duration of construction.
- Driveway and Field Access: Driveways and field access points will remain open to local traffic during construction.
- Mail Services: Canada Post will continue to deliver mail during construction. Canada Post will provide further notification and instructions for residents that may be impacted.
- Garbage and Recycling Collection: If your pick-up point is temporarily blocked by construction the Municipality will assist in collecting and transporting your garbage and recycling.
Posted detours are:
- Ten Mile Road - Hyde Park Rd. to Ilderton Rd. to Wonderland St. North
- Sixteen Mile Road - Richmond St. (Hwy 4) to Elginfield Rd. (Hwy 7) to Adelaide St. North
Maps of the detour routes can be found below.
Please obey road closures and follow the detour for your safety and the safety of the construction crews. Obey posted speeds in all areas, but especially in the Village of Ilderton.
We encourage you to review the attached Project Overview / Virtual Public Information Centre document (below) and contact us with questions or concerns.
- Middlesex Centre: Andrew Giesen, Transportation Manager
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding this project as it progresses, please be in touch.
Thank-you for your patience and understanding while the municipality undertakes this important project to protect the functionality of our municipal roads system.
Notice first posted December 2, 2021.